Christmas is a time for families and holidays, but travelling over Christmas can be particularly busy, stressful and expensive. So how can you get to where you want to go without the hassle and discover the joy of Christmas?
Read our top tips on travelling at this magical time of year, whether staying in the UK or going overseas for a festive holiday.
- Plan ahead – by booking early you have time to shop around and find the cheapest deals whether travelling by plane, train, booking a hotel or holiday.
- Avoid peak travel dates – if at all possible, work around the most popular days to travel at Christmas and avoid the motorway delays and busy times at the airports.
- Going overseas – getting through an airport can be tricky at any time of the year but there are a number of ways you can speed up the process. If you’re going on a short break, pack light and take carry on luggage only, check in online and avoid costly airport parking by booking a minicab.
- Leave early – get organised and leave plenty of time for journeys, especially if you have a family or young children. Not only will you be able to relax and enjoy the festivities more, but also if you have some time on your hands you can break your journey or just arrive at your destination early.
- Pack appropriately – we’re not just talking about clothes here, but packing snacks and drinks is also a good idea if you get stuck on the roads. Games and toys can be a godsend for the kids if they get bored, and don’t forget the weather can be nasty so a winter survival kit in the car will give you peace of mind.
Then all you have to do is enjoy – Merry Christmas!